Homelessness

Reading the chapter this week in 6 about homelessness, is what some people experience from every walk of life in America, regardless of sex, age, gender, etc.. The Department of Health and Social Services uses this definition as;

“A homeless individual is defined in section 330(h)(5)(A) as an individual who lacks housing (without regard to whether the individual is a member of a family) including individual whose primary residence during the night is a supervised public or private facility.( e.g. shelters) that provides temporary living accommodations, as an individual who is a resident in transitional housing. A homeless person doesn’t have permanent housing who may live on the streets; stay in a shelter, mission, single room occupancy facilities, abandoned building or vehicle; or in any other unstable or non-permanent situation’ (National Health Care for Homeless Council, 2017, para. 2).

In the 2016 Homeless assessment report there were 549,928 people in United states experiencing homelessness. Being homeless in Alaska has some disturbing challenges, one of which is extreme weather in the winters and lack of resources to house everyone. Some are struggling with co occurring disorders and many shelters are not equipped to handle the needs or wont accept people with anything in their system, some are physically dependent to alcohol or other substances. Just in Nov. 2023 Alaska had 49 homeless deaths. The New York Times even reported on it.

New York Times Post on Alaska’s homeless deaths

There’s a list of ways communities have tried to decrease homelessness and increase access to affordable living and these are through:

• Emergency shelters
  • Rapid rehousing
  • Safe havens
  • Transitional living

And access to affordable housing through

*Housing voucher program

*Public housing/low income apartments

https://www.ahfc.us/application/files/6615/4905/0609/ach_progress_report_2018.pdf

Just adding my thoughts now, I spent most my teenage years homeless in Fairbanks, I’ve seen a lot of crazy stuff including finding deceased people due to the extremes in temperature and people walking around the body like trash, a Father of a cousin was beat to death and caught on fire in front of a post office downtown. I think the homeless population is one of our most vulnerable in society yet have the worst stigma and least empathy. I hear of so many stories of missing people especially native men and women who disappear off the streets of Fairbanks and Anchorage. After the Brian Smith murder trial I cant help but think there is person or persons actively targeting this population. He tortured and murdered on camera 2 homeless AK Native women one was Veronica Abouchuk and Kathleen Jo Henry ,and had an accomplice(who hasn’t been charged with anything yet) but he is at least an accessory to murder.

You hear of other states where their entire homeless population is gone overnight and rumors of vans picking them up and moving them to other towns or buildings in the middle of nowhere, and the people, churches, and social workers who work with them, don’t even know where they went. Its truly concerning but also encourages me to want to explore and learn about all the things Alaska is doing to address the issues and hopefully be a part of seeing people find healing ,stability, affordable housing etc..

1. Trinity Podbicanin

Homelessness in Alaska is terrible, especially with, as you said, the extreme weather in the winter. I am from Florida, and while homelessness is not good in any area, Alaska in the winter must be awful. It gets so cold, like -50, and I could not imagine. I was up there over Thanksgiving break, and it was like 20, maybe in the single digits, but -40 to -50 is WAY too cold. “According to the AHAR the number of individuals experiencing homelessness on any given night in 2016 was 549,928.” While the date is old, I am sure the number is still somewhere around there; the number of homeless people is so upsetting. There are so many people experiencing homelessness, and I think it is so great that social workers are there to help! Something definitely needs to be done about the high number of homeless and social workers helping to see if people are eligible for government-assisted programs, help find potential job opportunities, guidance to resources such as mental health or substance abuse, etc. Social workers do so much for people experiencing homelessness, and I think it is incredible how they are making an impact to help lower homelessness.

• Robi Naranjo

Yes the number of homeless everywhere, is proof something isn’t working, and 49 deaths not even a full year in Alaska is crazy. I think the mental health crisis and lack of proper care, long term care and transition homes and support probably have something to do with it. It’s really sad though, the stigma and bias against the homeless too, they are being treated like pawns I noticed in politics

2. Ian Miller

You stated that “I think the homeless population is one of our most vulnerable in society yet have the worst stigma and least empathy”, and it is a very sad truth. With almost every other vulnerable population, you can observe at least some extension of empathy. This is just my personal opinion, but I can’t help but feel that the negative attitude towards our nations homeless population is because it is a problem that is very much in our face, hard to ignore, says a lot about the distribution of wealth, and so we choose to ignore it or tell ourselves that “there are plenty of programs to help the homeless, if they are still homeless it is because they are choosing to be”. Society really likes to generalize the human experience, that what is true for the majority, must be true for all. Because the majority of people are not homeless, and have employment, and can be resilient through the worst of times, etc. etc., then all people must be capable of the same and if they can’t then it is their own fault.

• Robi Naranjo

Totally agree! It makes people uncomfortable, some people even get mad at the homeless it’s sad, and they are constantly being used as pawns in politics, there has got to be real solutions somewhere and it probably has to do with better mental health services more supportive transitional housing I don’t know just speculating. I agree though people gauge their ability to go though challenges and put it next to someone they have no idea what they are going through what kind of trauma or mental illnesses they may be dealing with.

3. Jackson Foster

I can imagine what it would be like to be homeless in Alaska like I have seen how cold it is in Alaska and the coldest that I have ever experienced is -46 and if I were to be homeless dealing with -46 then that would be a big challenge for me. I am sorry that you had to deal with being homeless in your teenage years like that must of been hard on you during your teenage years.

• Robi Naranjo

Yea its pretty intense weather, -46 is crazy right?? Takes the warmthright out of yourlungs! when I was young and homeless I had good circulation and energy back then and I walked around a lot to stay warm ,seen a lot of goodthings too, I honestly wouldn’t change what I been through though for anything because it gave me some experience that I think really shaped who I am as a person and I’m grateful for that.

4. Neveah Reese

Working down town in Fairbanks I see a lot of our homeless population. My office has created a safe place for people to sit, maybe have some hot coffee, eat a snack, and have a nice conversation. They need that. They need someone to be empathetic , patient, and helpful. But as you said, many people don’t interact very kindly with someone who is unhoused. There is stigmas surrounding homelessness that aren’t always true, such as assuming someone is “too lazy” to get a job. To get a job you have to have identifying paperwork, a presentable appearance, and a way to get two and from. These are major struggles for someone who doesn’t have a home.
    I have a lot of compassion for homeless individuals and living in Alaska, you have to! They

• Robi Naranjo

That is so nice of your office! May God bless you guys for that, I’m sure they appreciate that so much. I remember when I was 15 there was the gas station on college road & the person that worked there used to let me lock the door and sleep in the bathroom for an hour or two and warm up and I still remember it 26 years later. People remember that kindness.

5. Jillian Bowman

The 49 deaths statistic was crazy to me. I know Alaska is a place that provides a great deal of challenges to the homeless population but I wasn’t expecting the number to be that high. I had a period of homelessness as a teenager and thankfully we found someone to stay with while we found new housing. It was still one of the worst times of my life. I wish there was more we could do to make it easier on them.

• Robi Naranjo

It’s tough at any age right? Even for a little while because it’s like your entire stability is shaken and especially when your a kid it can be hard, and not wanting others to see you different or find out. I’m glad you got though it and thanks for sharing

6. Deandra Nicholai

I am sorry you went through homelessness and saw death, I fear that so much. You are very strong for coming far. Homelessness in Alaska is very scary and I continue to pray for those who are homeless. I didn’t grow up where there was homelessness, but when I came to Fairbanks, I was shocked to see the homeless population. I wish we could help all those in need, even if it is providing them with warm gloves.

• Robi Naranjo

You can! I bet they would appreciate it so much, I haven’t been in Fairbanks in 5 years but I know there is a ministry that meets at the tribal hall that closely works with homeless, and tcc had a place to drop off clothes and stuff I forgot the name of the building ,Hannah Solomon building I think. Thanks for commenting

7. John Da Broi

With my current job I am around a lot of homeless and I do wonder how they even are able to live in this weather because it is insane at how dangerous it can get. With my interactions with these people I have learned that this whole stigma that homeless are all criminals or drug users is false but sure there are some that are like this but there are a lot of individuals who have gone through rough times and as a result they don’t have a place to live.

8. Sarai Gomez

Working with the Tanana Chiefs Conference, it is not uncommon to see and treat people who are homeless. Like Neveah, the clinic also allows people to sit and sleep in the facility during open business hours. Although the Fairbanks Rescue Mission is a great resource for people without housing, it does not provide a permanent solution. Many don’t consider that there is a limited amount of space; once it is full, people who are homeless can not seek shelter there.
    I also think that the fear, stigma, and social repercussions of being homeless can lead to people staying in dangerous situations (like to continue living with abusive partners) because they fear not having a place to go. Once in that situation, it can be hard to get out of.