The Child: A Missing Perspective

Myths and Misconceptions

The upEND podcast hosted by Josie Pickens and Jaison Oliver brings a new conversation to the topic of child welfare. Committed to challenging the child protective systems, they discuss how abolishment done right can bring autonomy, safety, and growth for families. Shattering what they call the “myths” of child welfare is the first step to change.

It’s not always true that…

• Children are taken from unsafe homes or that it is in their best interest
  • Foster care families are loving and safe
  • The system wants unification
  • That parents are unfit

While at first I was taken back by their movement, there is more layers to these situations that must be peeled back and discovered. Each family is unique and deserves a unique approach to their situation. I encourage you to check out the podcast with an open, revolutionary mind.

click here!

Seeing Things From Multiple Perspectives

Inspired by the upEND podcast to question systems and their reasons, it was enlightening to watch the ReMoved short films. Each one brought new perspectives from the various individuals who are apart of the foster care system. The parents, the foster parents, case workers, and most importantly, the child.

The first two films followed Zoe and Benaiah, siblings, who were taken from their mother. It showcased how Zoe’s self esteem, feelings of unworthiness, impacted her behavior. How her first few foster parents did a poor job at curving this behavior and instead, made it worse. It made me wonder, do foster parents know about trauma informed care? How to deal with behavioral issues?

In the next film, Zoe’s mother was shown. It showed how she was lacking support from the child services and court to regain custody of her children. How the foster mother continuously advocates for Zoe, yet no one seems to hear her. It gives a deep insight into how Zoe is feeling, as she describes her life as a tornado. How she has no control over her living situation, her younger brother, seeing her mother, and sometimes even her own feelings. These two films showed how little children get to voice their feelings, their thoughts, and their ideas.

For a final perspective, the third film shows how being united back at home can be hard too. When little Kevin was taken from his mom he was confused, struggled with his feelings, and missed lots. Luckily, he had amazing foster parents and siblings that taught him love and joy. While this was great for him at the time, it made the goodbye hard.

I felt this series did a great job making you feel the feelings of each person involved in the process. Overall, I think they highlighted a key missing piece to the child welfare system, the child.

Benefits of Media

The ReMoved films by Nathanial Matanick show how beneficial media can be to the social work domain. Videos like these bring awareness to the different layers and perspectives that take place in each case. It can bring insight in how to interact with parents who are having to work with child protective services, as well as understanding the uncommon or erratic behavior of the children. In addition, having videos to use for training purposes can also be extremely helpful. Either for role playing scenarios or providing expectations to social workers about interviewing a child, doing a home visit, or deciding whether a foster home is the right fit for a child. I think using media in this way brings true emotion and compassion to families that go through these scenarios.

Going back to the myths and misconceptions talked about in the upEND podcast, these types of films can be used to challenge the image of child protective services and other social work programs that may need a reform. Showing how parents truly feel going through the motions, how the experience impacts children, the stress and pressure put on foster parents, or even how foster siblings may have to adjust to their ever changing lives. In conclusion, media presence can help immensely in advocating for and educating the community, as well as challenging stereotypes.

A True Story

To share some personal experience, I want to share a story about a case we had in the law office I work at. When a CPS case opens, our office is assigned sometimes to represent the parents. It had been a few months since the child had been removed from the home and there had been a constant issue with visitation. The issue being, that the child would cry and act out each time when it was time to go to the visitation. The state, or CPS, argued that this was a clear sign that the child felt unsafe with their parents and in their home. What was wrong with this is that fact that it was completely assumed. When the state suggested this idea, the defense came back showing how the child actually missed their mother dearly. Having long talks on the phone, sending letters, and drawing photos.

The attorney asked, “Did you ask the child?”

With that, the judge chimmed in, “Yeah, did you?”

The answer was, they hadn’t.

I thought about this situation throughout both Zoe’s and Kevin’s stories. Zoe explained in so many ways how she felt like she had no voice, she was unseen and unheard by everyone. Still, they wanted her to act mature and process the situation she was in. As for Kevin, he was so young. To him, his mother was his everything. He couldn’t understand why he had to leave her. In any case, the child’s perspective is such an important one that should always be taken into consideration.

The Levels of Social Work

As we can see, in regard to child welfare there are several levels of social work. There is the social worker at CPS, the social worker who helps the parents get back on their feet, the teachers who help children during their transitional period, foster or group home parents, and those advocates or guardian ad litem’s that speak to the child’s wants and needs. At any level or role, remembering the ethics to social work is highly important. Not many cases will have an easy answer when working in child welfare, but there can be an effort made to make one that is in the best interest of both the child and family. With that, remembering that the true mission is to unify families and provide them with the tools, resources, and strategies they need to succeed.

I believe that taking a new approach to systems like these are needed. As the upEND podcast shared, 70% of children who are in foster care are there due to poverty. Parents who are struggling to put meals on the table, a roof over their head, and clothes on their backs. Is putting them in fear for their child to be taken away helpful? Instead, let’s focus on bettering communities. Ensuring that no child goes to bed hungry or without a warm bed. Our country is stocked of resources, yet so many people are lacking them. When we can help meet the needs of struggling families, they are better able to focus on growing themselves and their children.

***podcasts and short films discussed in this blog are linked in body

***All images used were taken from google images

1. Michelle Dunham

Assumptions. Truth and almost truth.

I listened to the upEnd podcast and could definitely relate to the core of their mission. I have worked within the body of the Alaska State Legislature and can testify to this process of assumptions of situations.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone assumes a truth without ever checking the facts. Without ever seeking all the pieces involved. With no sincere consideration of both sides.

The upEnd podcast reminded me of an analogy relating to many people’s perspective of the Federal process of Eminent Domain, and assumptions.

“If the Government came to your home, and placed a sign on your property declaring eminent domain, would you question? Or would you just accept.

This is where most of our most needed skills within our generation of young people have been ‘conditioned’ out. Being told NOT to question. NOT to seek answers outside of what is being proclaimed. NOT to resist injustice or inequality.

However, MY generation was taught to question EVERYTHING! It is one of my most annoying personality traits!! Ask anyone who knows me. Like a two year old… I want to know WHY!!! Don’t tell me to just “accept” it! I will NOT, and cannot until you can answer my questions!!!

Ok… whew… that felt good! (wink)

• Michelle Dunham

PS: Great post! Well reasoned and inclusion of your personal story really tied it all together!

• Neveah Reese

Thank you! And also thank you for your professional insights. I am a part of the younger generation, and I am kind of the odd ball since I DO question everything haha. I love how you related it to a toddler, because I feel like that at times.
        I was able to have a great conversation about this podcast with a coworker this morning and we both had so many questions we wish we could ask. With that, we also discussed the awful cycle of poverty that heavily influences the CPS systems. I know many are scared of what might happen if systems aren’t in place, but questioning why they are the way they are is crucial.

• Sean McCrossin

Unfortunately many debates, even if they are as professional as possible, will always have at least an inkling of bias. Therefore I think there will always be an issue of accepting or denying truth no matter what. It takes more of a philosophical approach to even begin to explain why and even then there might not be a conceivable answer by human means. Regardless I think it’s still important to question authority no matter how experienced one might be. some take offense to being questioned but I feel like and i hope future generations will get better at being able to start understanding why one would ask why.

2. Alex Beaudouin

Hi Neveah,
    Thank you for sharing your blog about child welfare. The upEND podcast revealed to me some unknown facts about “Family policing”. I think it is important to prioritize family policing and invest in resources and programs that protect children’s rights and ensure their safety while fostering a culture of awareness by reporting suspected abuse or neglect, as well as supporting families in need and advocating for policies that prioritize children’s well-being.

• Sean McCrossin

I agree with you there Alex. I had mentioned in the participation this week that there are new challenges that we didn’t have 100 years ago, at least not really. Such as the child actor industry. With Hollywood only continuing to boom, there are more and more cases of these children being taken advantage of, some even by their own parents. It’s one thing to say children should be protected but if we follow family policing like you and Neveah mentioned, then we can start to go in a better direction.

• Neveah Reese

I agree that protecting children from abuse and neglect is utmost importance for our future and functionality of our communities, but at the same time I believe that there are parts of the system that need to change for the better. Checking facts, thorough investigation, and child perspective is essential for appropriate removals, finding resources, and truly supporting families.

3. Ian Miller

Hi Neveah, this really is a very emotionally charged topic when we are talking about kids and families and what is in the best interest of the child. I think giving more power to the kids and their voice is important. I remember being an advocate for a client, and I attended a hearing that was determining the placement/reunification of the son of my client. In this case the child had been placed with a relative, and that relative did not think the mother was ready to have custody. The court asked the kid what he wanted during the hearing, and it was heartbreaking. You could hear the painful uncertainty in this kids voice. You could tell he had been through a lot with his mom before and you could also tell that his placement family had been fueling his fears instead of helping him heal. These cases, both sides typically want what is best for the child. But it is so hard to truly determine what is best for a kid when you can’t tell the future, you don’t know what any adult will really do, and the people making the decisions are only able to see such a small sample of the daily life of a family. Then there is bias of caseworkers, and burnout, and so much more.

I agree with your closing statement though, the approach needs to be changed to help eliminate the hardships families face on a daily basis. We need to find a way to make it easier for families to feel safe in their own environment and to have some kind of breathing room.

• Neveah Reese

Thank you for sharing, that does sound like an incredibly difficult situation. Children should certainly get their time and space to speak about how they are feeling, what they want, and how they want to proceed in their lives. Not that this should be the deciding factor, but I think it’s so important for them to feel hears and understood during these confusing processes. Thank you for your comment!

4. Kori Williams

Thanks for your insightful commentary on this subject! I personally have had a lot of mixed feelings about this podcast episode due to my own upbringing, but reading your perspective definitely helped put it in a different light. I’m still not entirely certain what my stance is on the matter, but I always appreciate a new perspective.

5. Deandra Nicholai

Waqaa Neveah, just as Ian said, this was a very emotional topic. The bullet points where you mentioned in the beginning of your blog pointing the things that are not always true, I immediately agree to the second one; foster care families are loving and safe. I have not been with a foster care family, but a few families around my region have had fostered children and I saw that there wasn’t any love and actual care for the foster child. I think is it very important to listen to the children who are experiencing these events.