Family Building Blocks

posted in: Uncategorized | 14

The United States Census Bureau defines a family as “a group of people (two or more) that are related in various ways including birth, marriage, or adoption, and share residence with one another.” Families are the beginning of who we are. From the moment we are born we begin to learn, grow, and develop within our familial surroundings. That does not mean it is always easily defined or simple. Families can exist in a multitude of structures that change over time as we grow. They can be a more traditional family structure of two parents and their biological children or can consist of a single parent or adoptive family. For example, I was raised in a separated household in which my father spent majority of my childhood in prison. It was a different family structure than anyone else I knew but it was the only one I had experienced

No photo description available.

A family structure I am intimately familiar with is that of being an adoptive single- parent. My family structure came about through kinship adoption, however there are multiple different ways for structures to change and form such as divorce, marriage, and foster care. This included a co-custody family which consists of two parents sharing the responsibility of a child or children. There is also the dynamic of stepfamily which is when family is added through marriage without DNA connection. Stepfamilies are also referred to as blended families.  There are a multitude of other family structures including that of the LGBTQ community.

Beyond how a family is composed there is the matter of how the family functions. With this comes 3 models of parenting styles that have been defined by Psychologist Diana Baumrind which are: authoritarian, permissive, and authoritative. Later uninvolved parenting style was added by Enrique.  Authoritarian parenting is the strictest parenting style with rules that are absolute and offer very little leeway and is demanding.  Permissive parenting is responsive, and these parents tend to avoid confrontation and don’t have a lot of set rules for the child. Authoritative parenting is the most preferred parenting and is seen as to most ration. It involves structure and rules without restricting the child. Uninvolved parenting is when a parent isn’t involved in their children’s lives. This can be caused by multiple different factors. The text notes the importance of acknowledging that none of the parenting styles mentioned above equal an abusive home. Each parenting style comes with its own array pros and cons and children are individuals and different approaches are needed to fit the child being parented. Baumrind emphasizes the importance of maintaining firmness and structure while refraining from being repressive or hostile. Authoritarian parenting can have many negative effects and lead to antisocial behavior, rebelliousness, and hostility.

Just as many families utilize different parenting styles they also come with their own unique set of cultures and values. This is something that is extremely important when working with families. Being aware of one’s own culture and values can help us to acknowledge the belief system of others can help in misreading social cues. Cultures and values can also give us insight into the family dynamic and the expectations that may be placed on certain roles in the family.

This chapter was interesting to read, and I appreciate how the MSW student laid it out. I really like the simplicity of the open textbook approach.  I related a lot of what I read to what I’ve learned this semester in this class but particularly in my practicum. Interning at OCS has taught me a great deal about family dynamics and how different cultures are reflected in parenting. I especially appreciated the Removed film that gives another perspective into what I am seeing while at OCS. It is a perspective and video I will utilize and revisit later.

14 Responses

1. Sarai Gomez

A couple of years back I volunteered at FNA in their Head Start program. Observation and asking for the family’s input on what they had observed before making suggestions or suggestions on how to proceed. I find that this approach is very much aligned with the traditional and cultural values of Alaskan Natives.
    Personally, my family and I have experienced situations where assumptions were made and “solutions” that weren’t helpful given.
    For example, in my house children were allowed to advocate for themselves and speak out if they thought a punishment was too harsh, or “make a deal” with the adult. In the Hispanic culture being outspoken is part of our culture. When I was in school my predominantly white teachers would see this as being disrespectful and would chastise my parents as well as give them advice on how to “teach us respect”.

We are here to serve families, to work WITH them. Our personal approaches and opinions are irrelevant. As long as we work towards the same goal the path to get there shouldn’t matter

• Jillian Bowman

Hi Sarai!

I completely agree that working WITH families verses against them is always the best approach. I kiddo is pretty outspoken and I’ve had people get upset by the way I allow him to talk something out with me, there are rules, but for the most part if he has a good point to make I’d like to hear it out.

2. Neveah Reese

Family is so important to people in a multitude of ways. Along with the several family structures you mentioned, there is even the chosen family we create as we grow and lead our own lives. I couldn’t tell you how many aunties and uncles I have that are non-blood related. As you shared, each family also comes with its own set of values, beliefs, funds of knowledge, and overall culture. Cultures are specific to families, as well as more board relating to religion, ethnicity, race, and so on. Because of this, it is so important to treat each family unit and a unique group. Not one family is exact to another.
    Growing up I had many different family structures. early years I lived with both of biological parent, which soon turned into a co-custody arrangement. With that, I experienced the feeling of living with a single parent, since neither of my parents remarried or even dated for a long time. In adolescence, my father married a longtime family friend turning many people I have known my whole life into stepfamily. And now, both of my parents have an additional child, creating a blended family on both sides. All that being said, it is clear to me how families can change and grow.

• Jillian Bowman

I think chosen families are often times the most important families a person can have! The saying “blood is thicker then water” comes to mind when you realize the full saying is “the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.”

3. Sharla Huckabey

I grew up in a traditional family setting. My parents taught us that family is everything and blood is thicker than water.
    While my friends all had single parent homes or blended families. I never looked at them any differently
    Most of their parents were not strict at all. On the other hand my parents were extremely strict. Growing up with strict parents wasn’t the easiest. Often times I would want to go out with my friends but wasn’t allowed to.
    I always respected the fact that my parents only wanted the best for us. I also appreciated that my parents were always involved in our lives.

4. Elizabeth Jackson

I think it’s interesting to see the trend of parenting styles and child behavior outcomes. There is a correlation between authoritarianism and low self-esteem, dependency, and lack of social skill development. I have friends who have helicopter parents who gave them very little freedom growing up and they have created problems for themselves legally and physically.

5. Alex Beaudouin

Hi Jillian,

Thank you for your blog on “Family building blocks”. I was fortunate to have been raised in a safe and loving environment, which are the building blocks of family structure. Now, having a family of my own, I can say that family structure is important. A sense of stability and security should always be present in the family. Having a supportive family environment helps promote emotional well-being and a sense of belonging. I think family structure plays a crucial role in the socialization process as well. Children learn values, norms, and social skills that are essential for their development. All of those serve as the foundation for children and individuals to grow, learn, and thrive by providing support, love, and guidance.

6. David Shelton

Reading this blog post was incredibly insightful and relatable. As someone who grew up in a nontraditional family structure and later became a single parent, I deeply resonate with the discussion on diverse family compositions and parenting styles. Despite the challenges I faced, family has always been at the core of my identity.

The emphasis on understanding cultural backgrounds in social work practice resonates with me. Even though I haven’t officially started my practicum, my experiences working within communities have highlighted the significant influence of cultural values on family dynamics. These experiences have shown me firsthand how cultural differences can shape every aspect of family life, from communication patterns to decision-making processes.

Understanding the role of cultural values in family dynamics has dramatically impacted my approach to working with families. I’ve learned the importance of recognizing and respecting cultural diversity and how essential it is to tailor interventions to meet the unique needs of each family. By embracing artistic differences, I strive to create a more inclusive and culturally sensitive practice that promotes the well-being of all individuals and families.

Overall, this blog post has reaffirmed the importance of cultural competency in social work and the need for continuous learning and adaptation to support diverse communities effectively.

7. John Da Broi

I really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing your own perspective on a family structure from your own experience. I think the family structure is very important because it how the kids are shaped and who they look up too. If you family is very “good” or “traditional” than you might have children that are being raised with good morals but if you have children in a family structure that are being raised in a nontraditional household than you might see some discrepancies in the child

8. Josh Fine

Thank you for your insight and interpretation of the textbook. I was raised a very western-traditional family that I would identify as authoritative, leaning toward authoritarian at times. Reading the section about family styles, I found myself viewing the other family styles with a bias. I realized that, while I consider myself to be very progressive, I still have some deeply ingrained beliefs about how families “should” look based on my own experiences. Your writing about your own personal experiences and this chapter of the book, made me realize that and I thank you.

9. Ian Miller

Hi Jillian, thank you for sharing your life experiences and reflecting on your feelings from your childhood. Family structure and parenting styles are very interesting. I am intrigued how one family type can be experienced so differently by each person in the family. Not to mention how what is a traumatizing situation for a kid in one family, might be an environment that motivate a kid in another family. The human experience is so unique when we break it down. Like the study of identical twins who have been separated at birth and raised by completely different families and seeing how those different life experiences mold each twin.

I also really like how the Text for this class is laid out and broken down. Each chapter is very easy to follow and engaging.

10. Mel Maendel

Thank you for your blog. It was easy to understand and I really liked the layout and creativity put into it. I like how you added your own experience into the definition and how it added onto the information.

11. Annalee White

Hi Maren!

Thank you for your words and ideas on this topic! I love your ideas of helping to incorporate and inform others of your culture, allow to avoid miscommunication, and help to build not only or families but our community.

12. Jackson Foster

Hi Jillian, thank you for sharing your story on family structure, family structure is so important just because of how it influences our children’s caregiving environments and it gives us our identity, language and expectations on how the world and reality works.