Blog #5 – Disability Social Practices

posted in: Uncategorized | 3

Social work has been a staple in the space of therapeutic practices for quite some time now. The rights of citizens among different groups have also been able to get more rights as a whole. these rights ensure protections for those in circumstances that alter one’s way of life so great, that protections are necessary. such as those with disabilities which I would like to talk about. Some people have physical disabilities that make it so places may not be as accessible or as easy socially to talk to others and get where they need to go, therefore we now have protections that grant some sort of leniency and promotes understanding. As well as more of an emphasis on handicap parking and handicap ramps for example. Another version of disability is the mental kind. One could argue this is also physical, but for the sake of representation, I think it’s healthier if we branch it separately. Some could be born with abnormal defects or they can be obtained by situations in someone’s life. Regardless, some issues with mental disabilities is a personality that lacks some of the necessary components to function in day to day life. someone’s motor functions may be impaired, their social abilities may hinder, and some may not even feel specific emotions. The key difference being that mental disabilities target the brain, and that’s what separates it. For some, a mere glance makes it impossible to tell if someone has a mental disability of some kind. Such as the second picture under the wheelchair ramp, this person has Asperger’s Syndrome.

Some people respond differently to treatment, some can appreciate the more orthodox approach of medicinal and rehabilitative approaches. However, others may prefer a more “radical” approach. In regards to these approaches and also keeping disability in mind, I think the most important element to introduce is the promotion of individuality. I think generally if people feel they are able to take care of themselves, by themselves, then they feel that they have control of their lives and helps reduce stress and poor judgments. People with disabilities are a bit more of a complicated situation however, because some might not understand this concept or literally need someone else in order to move. With civilization making more advancements in technology though, we can provide more and more tools that help build on the concept of individuality. If that just isn’t available, it’s up to others to understand that only one person can affect a situation or feeling. So and so is the only one who makes me feel better in a situation, and they are in a wheelchair because they are paralyzed from the waist down after a car accident. My point being that it’s important to highlight the value that someone has in your life and in general. they may need someone to help them move, but maybe they offer very good advice, or they are super kind and feel good to be around. Being disabled will never mean you have no value, nor does it mean you’re life is over.

I think having groups is a good method for more involvement, some groups can be mixed with disabled people and some groups can be held specifically for disabled people. Whether there already is or not I’m not sure, but this is how I imagine there being more fair implementations of rights for disabled citizens. Which include places such as the workplace, school, and in general. I think to combat certain stereotypes and the potential as a whole for mistreatment, I think making it more public is the way to go. Making someone feel almost like they know someone with a disability personally even though they don’t might really help people understand and empathize. allowing people to share their stories allows for an avenue where people can see each other more of an equal rather than a nuisance. In a bit of the same meaning in this instance, education is another important mechanism to elaborate on. Holding seminars or conferences of some kind in the locations I mentioned earlier such as school will help those in school grow to be more understanding if they are taught at an earlier age, especially if there are disabled people in the school. I never had education like that, but we had a girl with down syndrome named Dusty who I saw frequently, and she was the sweetest person I have ever met. I was lucky to have a positive experience, because without her, perhaps I would feel a bit differently. Which is why I deem it so important to spread the word as publicly as possible.

Social workers, like I stated before can really emphasize the value that people hold. That there is always more than meets the eye. However, this isn’t as easy as it sounds, some challenges may be that they are not ready to listen at that time. As in they may have depression or another sort of affliction that can compromise the meaning of our words. A good example may be a veteran who was honorably discharged after a grenade took their leg, and loud noises cause an episode of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). On its own, there is a lot to unpack and dealing with that issue first likely takes precedence, and it becomes more difficult if there is a mixed bag and multiple conditions affect an individual. That’s where some of the orthodox approaches come back into play, because we have medicines now that can assist in making the load a bit lighter. As well as good old fashioned talk therapy where being a group can get someone where they need to be.

I find it important to avoid bare bones and rehashed words, because sometimes we only mean it halfway anyways since we see it as universally true without fail such as “don’t give up”. Addressing a person’s personal experiences with “don’t give up” has more meaning to both sides. Allowing the person to share their stories and then sharing some of your own adds a layer of relatability that in my opinion divides the passive and active roles in therapy. It’s one of the reasons that as much as artificial intelligence can help the world tremendously, it will never truly replace us. At least, not for the better in this case. We need to show that disabled or not we are all human, living on planet Earth (for now anyway), and no matter what we will face struggle. On the other hand, “we is nothing to fear, but fear itself” which is what Franklin Roosevelt said in the midst of The Great Depression. Franklin Roosevelt was also a disabled man in a wheelchair paralyzed from the waist down. He has mixed opinions, what president doesn’t? But he was seen as a good president helping the country recover from such a devastating time period. On its own, this sort of example can inspire those who feel their values are lower than others and encourage action despite life’s shortcomings.

The authors advocate for far more social integration of people with disabilities into the general population. Wanting more options for transportation, recreational activities, and societal changes regarding the notion of bias. The ADA stands for the Americans with Disabilities Act, which was officially instated in 1990. Which assisted in issues such as employment, state and federal government topics, accommodations in public, communications, and other miscellaneous subjects. The authors seemed to have seen this as the first real bit of recognition for those who would be considered disabled. This was public and well known throughout the entire country that really spread the word and brought much needed assistance to help those who would benefit from the ADA. Self determination is the idea of someone willing to make change in some capacity through their own willpower. Because ultimately the only person responsible for our choices is ourself. This is important because maybe this allows for someone to go through with physical rehabilitation after feeling hopeless and get better, maybe even completely. Some decisions that we choose can change our life for the better, especially if we feel like nothing will change prior to making the decision. But self determination gives everyone, including disabled people, the choice and the tools required for further evolution.

3 Responses

1. Alex Beaudouin

Hi Sean,
    Thank you for your blog on disability social practices. It is important for society to continually evaluate and improve social practices that involve disability, to ensure that individuals with disabilities are treated with dignity, respect, and equality. Accessibility is an important aspect of ensuring that physical spaces, transportation, and information are accessible to individuals with disabilities, as well as inclusion and anti-discrimination. Providing supportive services is necessary to enable them to live independently, and access education, employment, healthcare, and other essential services. Thank you for bringing up FDR in your blog, not many people knew he contracted polio later in his young life.

2. Sarai Gomez

Thank you for emphasizing the value people hold no matter their circumstances. I feel that many who have not experienced or have had relationships of any kind with someone who is disabled can, at times, have a hard time understanding this concept.

Adjusting the world to empower people and allow them to feel self-sufficient benefits everyone, not just the individuals directly involved. Take, for example, wheelchair ramps on sidewalks; they’re not only utilized by people in wheelchairs. Parents with strollers, people on rollerblades, and those with temporary injuries or disabilities also benefit from a feature originally designed for individuals who use wheelchairs.

3. Trinity Podbicanin

Your blog was very well written! It is so essential for people to “see each other as more of an equal rather than a nuisance.” It is not their fault they have a disability; some are born with it, some can get it from a car accident, some can get it while in war, etc. There needs to be more accommodations for people who have disabilities, as you said, “more of an emphasis on handicap parking and handicap ramps,” etc. I think it is great that there is assistance for those with a disability, providing a prosthetic to those who lost a leg or an arm and having assistance from others such as being able to help them get dressed or walk, etc. I think it is important for those with assistance from others to have independence when they feel they need it. As said in the source, “Traditionally, both rehabilitation professionals and members of the disability rights movement have favored the maximization of independence as an important and desirable goal of rehabilitation.” Overall, your blog was really good!