The Steps to Healing

posted in: Uncategorized | 13

The war on drugs was declared by President Nixon in the 1970’s. With attempts made to defer individuals from using substances failing and a growing population of those who use or are dependent on substances, social workers and other professionals work on learning the tools and strategies that can help heal, motivate, and change the lives of those entangled in the war on drugs.

Definitions

Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Quoted from the textbook: “a cluster of cognitive, behavioral, and physiological symptoms indicating that the individual continues using the substance despite significant substance related problems.”

Evidence Based Practices (EBP) Skills, techniques, and strategies that have been proven to work through experimentation and research studies.

Common to Substance Use Disorders:

• Cognitive behavioral therapy
  • Dialectical behavioral therapy
  • Motivational Interviewing

Abstinence “The act or practice of restraining oneself from indulging in something” (Oxford Living Dictionaries).

Harm Reduction In regard to substance use, this is the process of understanding the current stage of healing and finding strategies that minimize use and health concerns.

Detox “To stop taking unhealthy or harmful foods, drinks, and other substances into your body for a period of time, in order to improve your health” (Cambridge Dictionary)

This can be a long, difficult, painful, and emotionally challenging.

Dual Diagnosis Quoted from the textbook: “The presence of a mental disorder occurs along with the use of a substance.”

Inpatient Settings

The textbook discusses where social may work when working with those who have a SUD, naming two primary settings. One of those being an inpatient center, where individuals are being housed in the facility to help them overcome their substance dependence and find healthy strategies to maintain their mental health and sobriety. Through both group and personal therapy sessions, safe environments, drug screening, and relevant medical care clients are guided through recovery and reflection.

In these settings, it is not uncommon for social workers to support their clients through the detox period. This is the initial cleanse of substances, which can be very difficult and painful for the person experiencing it. Providing support those this time is crucial and should show the client the strength they have to continuously conquer their goals.

Outpatient Settings

The next primary work setting would be outpatient facilities. These are less intensive and more flexible treatment options for SUD’s. A well known example of a program like this would be Alcohol Anonymous, or AA.

Clients attend treatment on their own accord by joining group or personal counseling, educational classes, medication and medical treatment, as well as additional supports as needed.

The Social Worker

In both of these settings social workers have similar techniques and skills they use to connect with others.

• Establishing a relationship – Social workers will build trust with the person they are working with to get to know them (culture, personality, lifestyle, goals, etc.) and their needs. Through this process, social workers are able to find strategies that are meaningful and applicable to each individual.
  • Leading support groups – Human connection is a medicine that heals all. Getting through a hard time alone can be difficult, so leading support groups for people to share their stories in safe place is a common strategy for recovery.
  • Familiarizing the specifics – In every realm of social work, it is important to be knowledgeable on things that are relevant for support. For instance, knowledge on potential risks and advantages of medications for someone who struggles with SUD.
  • Understanding Mental Health as Cause and Affect – Dual diagnosis is when someone with SUD is also has a mental health diagnosis. Treatment of underlying or consequential mental health disorders is ideal for the path of recovery.

My Thoughts and Philosophies

I believe that by allowing families to create secure closeness and strength, SUD would decrease rapidly. As shown in the Rat Park video explanation shared this week, when rats were able to have access to all the necessities that brought joy and security, they didn’t need substances. Many people who struggle with a SUD are working to fill a space that is lacking, both physically and emotionally. By repairing this space, they will feel less dependent on their substance. Now I know that there are several circumstances where the solution may not be that easy, but a stable foundation to ground a person through hard times is crucial. With solid support, every individual is capable of striving forward with the motivation of self confidence, worth, and pleasure.

Sources:

Bogucki, K. (2017, August 28). Chapter 10: Mental Health and Substance use. Introduction to Social Work at Ferris State University. https://pressbooks.pub/ferrisintroductiontosocialwork/chapter/chapter-10-mental-health-and-substance-use/ 

**All images taken from Google

13 Responses

1. Sean McCrossin

Hey Neveah! I agree that all around family bonds are important to preventing drug substance abuse. I think it’s probably the best tool we have to avoiding drug abuse overall. this was a great read and I appreciate you making this.

• Neveah Reese

Certainly! Strong interpersonal relationships and healthy communities are crucial for both prevention of SUD and rehabilitation/healing.

2. Annalee White

I love this blog, and I appreciate the open conversation about such a difficult topic. I hope more conversations like this can take place around the country, and we can heal together and find get the help to those who need it.

• Neveah Reese

So many people are uncomfortable with the topic and the conversations that are relevant to it, but such a valid piece to the process of prevention, healing, and overall growth. Those who deal with SUD need to know that support exists and can assist them in this new chapter of life.

3. Christine Ryan

Thank you, Neveah, for your contributions to this blog.
    My family has had a lot of interactions with these programs. My little brother is currently in an outpatient program that he signed himself up for and doing the hard work. He has a lot of childhood trauma and can talk to counselors and find where the hurt lies. I know everyone has their own story of struggles and my mother is bipolar and an alcoholic. Honestly thought I was going to bury her last year, she was hoarding and using and went into a deep dark place. I was more of an enabler, unfortunately; I didn’t want to bury another parent. She woke up one day and decided she wanted to take back control of her life, she is no one year sober and trying to live her best life. One thing is for sure, having these programs and being able to help is very important.

• Neveah Reese

That is so amazing for your family! I also have close experiences with substance use and rehabilitation. I have a family friend who is a little over a year clean from drug substances and it has been so amazing seeing her change her life for the better. I always express my support and proudness to her. Having people around them that can recognize all the work they are doing is so crucial to the healing process.

4. Victoria Tichenor

This blog was a tough read but a beneficial one. My aunt struggled for many years with drugs, she losts everything and none of my family did anything about it. However one day in 2016 she decided that she wanted to better her life and now she has a wonderful little girl and I’m so happy for her.

• Neveah Reese

It can be hard for families to know what to do in some situations. Granted I don’t know the details, but substance use disorders certainly impact those who are in that individuals life. I am so proud of your aunt in finding her drive to get better. That takes a lot of strength and for many healing is not an option without it.

5. Alex Beaudouin

Hi Neveah,
    Thank you for sharing your blog.
    Social workers play a crucial role in supporting individuals who are struggling with drug addiction, or mental illness. Social workers provide a range of services and interventions aimed at helping patients overcome addiction, improve their overall well-being, and reintegrate into society. We need not forget to support families of individuals struggling with addiction. We need to help families understand the nature of addiction, develop coping strategies, and access support networks. This may also facilitate family therapy sessions to improve communication and address unresolved issues. Through expertise, empathy, and commitment, social workers play a vital role in addressing the complex challenges faced by drug addictions.

• Neveah Reese

I couldn’t agree more. I work at a law office in town and many of the people we represent have a long history of drug or alcohol abuse, suffer from homelessness, and often don’t have strong family or community supports. Because of this, our office is committed to being that support system that is so important to process of healing and rehabilitation. It means the world to have someone recognize the work you are putting in, the new skills you are applying, and the growth that you have had throughout the process of coming off substances and beginning sobriety.

6. Trinity Podbicanin

The layout of your blog is very well done! It is so essential for social workers to be there for their clients and support them because this is a hard time, and they need all of the support they can get. As you said, “Many people who struggle with a SUD are working to fill a space that is lacking, both physically and emotionally.” This is why it is so important to have family there to support them, but the textbook says, “The family, once a great support, may now be uninformed, resentful, or frightened of the sudden change in their loved one.” Having a supportive social worker can significantly help them in that hard time. Social workers find different ways to assist their clients, learn about medication they may be taking or taken, guide their clients, and support them. Social workers are so essential and impact so many lives. Overall, your blog was really good!

7. Elizabeth Jackson

I like the way you translated addiction recovery to social work and how they can work together. I agree with your philosophy that fostering a healthy nurturing family environment will decrease SUD, however, often times addicts do not have that privilege and that causes the SUD. In that case, social workers and therapist can assist. Which you did an excellent just explaining how they do that.

8. Deandra Nicholai

Neveah, good job on the organizing of your blog! I like how you gave the definition of the words. Also one thing that really got to me was in the Social Worker with the Leading Support Groups bullet section where you mentioned, “human connection is a medicine that heals all”, because I agree. I was at a time where I fell into deep sadness and avoided everyone I could, but when I reached out and accepted people into my life, I was healing slowly.