Psychedelic Medicine’s Holistic Healing

posted in: Uncategorized | 7

Overview of Belser’s emphasis on the holistic nature of psychedelic medicines

In the realm of mental health treatment, psychedelic medicines offer a holistic approach that goes beyond just managing symptoms. Compaired to conventional psychiatric treatments, which normally just focus on controlling symptoms through medication or therapy, psychedelic therapy aims to uncover underlying issues. Magic mushrooms and other psychedelics have the potential to make people feel like they’re on a journey inside themselves, where individuals experience intense emotions and perceive the world from new perspectives (Meinch, 2023).

What does this mean?

The effects of psychedelic medicines are not confined to the mind alone; they also produce changes in the brain and body. Research suggests that they can form new neural connections, offering promise for individuals dealing with mental health issues. In psychedelic therapy sessions, therapists provide support as individuals explore their experiences and apply new insights to their lives. This holistic approach considers mental health in a wider context, including emotions, physical well-being, and spirituality. By addressing the root causes of mental distress, psychedelic therapy endeavors to empower individuals to lead more fulfilling lives (Meinch, 2023).

Common Psycedelic Drugs and their thereputic uses

Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (LSD): a powerful hallucinogenic drug known for its ability to alter perception and sensory experiences. Originally derived from ergot, a fungus found on grains like rye, LSD was first synthesized by Dr. Albert Hofmann in 1943. Early research focused on its potential insights into mental illness, while intellectuals in the 1950s, including Aldous Huxley, explored its alleged capacity to induce states of “cosmic consciousness” (Cahm, 2024).

• Addiction (e.g., alcohol)
  • Anxiety associated with terminal illness

Psilocybin (Magic mushrooms): a compound found in certain types of mushrooms, often referred to as shrooms or magic mushrooms, which grow on various continents. Typically consumed dried or powdered, psilocybin is classified as a psychedelic or hallucinogenic drug, capable of altering one’s perception of reality. Users may experience visual, auditory, and sensory distortions, or a shift in their understanding of the world. These mushrooms have a rich history of use, with evidence suggesting indigenous cultures in Central America utilized them for healing and spiritual practices dating back to 3000 B.C (NIDA, 2024).

• Addiction (tobacco, alcohol)
  • Anxiety associated with terminal illness

Ayahuasca: often interpreted from the Quechua language as “vine of the spirits” or “vine of the dead,” is a psychoactive brew originating from the Amazon rainforest. It is used in various shamanic contexts for its diverse medicinal, spiritual, and cultural significance. The concoction is crafted by boiling a mixture of the Banisteriopsis caapi vine, which contains β-carboline alkaloids, and other plants such as Psychotria viridis or Diplopterys cabrerana, which provide N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT), commonly known as yagé in this preparation (Rodríguez et al., 2022).

• Addiction (alcohol, cocaine, tobacco)
  • Depression
  • Anxiety

Mescaline: stands as one of the most ancient hallucinogens, with historical records indicating its usage dating back 5700 years. It occurs naturally as an alkaloid present in cacti, predominantly in the peyote cactus (Lophophora williamsii) and various species of the Echinopsis genus. Following the prohibition of psychoactive substances in the early 1970s, investigations into mescaline and similar classical psychedelics have been constrained (Vamvakopoulou et al., 2022).

• Addiction (alcohol)

How might integrating such holistic approaches impact the social work field?

Integrating holistic approaches to psychedelic integration into social work can profoundly impact therapeutic practice. By embracing models that imnclude body, mind, spirit, community, and the environment, social workers offer more comprehensive support to individuals navigating psychedelic experiences. These approaches acknowledge interconnectedness and promote healing, personal growth, and community well-being. Drawing from Indigenous wisdom and diverse cultural perspectives, social workers honor human diversity and advocate for social justice. Essentially, integrating holistic approaches enhances the effectiveness and relevance of social work interventions in a diverse world (Bathje et al., 2022).

Barriers of incorporating psycedelic treatments within current mental health systems?

I see the biggest barrier being the stigma that psycedelics carry. Psychedelics have a history of stigmatization because of their association with counterculture movements and the War on Drugs. Public perception of psychedelics as dangerous or addictive substances may create resistance to their integration into mainstream mental health care systems, both professionals and the general public.

Another challenge facing psychedelic treatment is the barriers to access imposed by regulatory frameworks. Classified as Schedule I drugs in many regions, psychedelics face stringent regulations hindering research and prohibiting their use in therapy. While some countries, like Canada, have granted exemptions for certain health professionals, legal constraints persist. In New Zealand, legislation allows medical practitioners to prescribe unapproved medicines, including psychedelics, under special authorization. However, these legal barriers contribute to negative perceptions and stigma surrounding psychedelics (Wells et al., 2024).

References

7 Responses

1. John Da Broi

I think that it is very interesting that people who have health issues and problems their whole lives and could have tried every prescription and research drug available in the market and might of had the chance to try psychedelics and experience relief with but because of certain FDA bans against them they are not allowed to use it because how is the FDA and big corps going to make money from it if you are able to grow it naturally.

2. Sammy Rivera Munoz

Awesome blog Elizabeth. It is amazing to think that psychedelics could be one approach to take to solve one’s health issues. I agree with you, the stigmas that psychedelics carry are possibly the biggest barrier to reaching a total incorporation of them into the healthcare system. Let’s hope that in the future psychedelics and psychotherapy can be used together to help people in need of a different way of healing alleviate their mental and physical problems.

3. Neveah Reese

I can tell you put a lot of thought and consideration into this blog and its content, thank you! I found the barriers you mentioned were super important when thinking about this type of medicine and treatment becoming more popular in the recent years to come. For one, the stigma surrounding hallucinogens is major, which is why I think it’ll be a huge barrier in promoting psychedelics as a normal and common therapeutic treatment. Will people be able to see them as more than just a street drug and high?

4. Mel Maendel

Your blog was full of interesting and useful information that brought up a different perspective. As future social workers we should always be openminded and open to try new types of practices other than the usual conventional ones. The history behind these are amazing and using these methods could open new door in our society and also break some stigmas along the way.

5. Bell Voseberg

It was super interesting to hear about the different types of psychedelics; I honestly didn’t know that they were categorized like that. I saw something once about how they were used as therapy, and scientists were experimenting with them, but then they got deemed as dangerous, and scientists stopped having access to them, therefore hindering our knowledge a little bit.

6. Ben Woods

Hi there Elizabeth, interesting post! Personal biases aside, I can see how the holistic approach could be beneficial. I do agree that one of the biggest roadblocks would be the stigma about using these psychedelics for treatment. If we put others before ourselves and think about what is really best for “them” (them being the people whom we are trying to help), we have to have an open mind even though one of the options may be daunting. I wonder if we’ll ever get to a point in the medical field where this may become a common practice to treat mental illnesses.

7. Jackson Foster

I find magic mushrooms fascinating because of how they make you hallucinate and make you feel like you are in a different reality and one of the benefits of magic mushrooms is that they can help with depression and anxiety but there are risks if you are going to take magic mushrooms and one of the risks is that it can cause illness and death.