Psychedelics: the Future of Psychotherapy.

posted in: Uncategorized | 7

Let’s take a stroll through the fascinating journey of Dr. Alex Belser, a psychologist who’s been riding the wave of change in the world of mental health treatment. 

Let’s imagine this: It’s the 90’s, and the talk about psychedelics is practically non-existent. But there is Alex, a very curious undergrad at Georgetown University, stumbling upon a book about LSD therapy that sets his path in motion.

Fast forward to the present, Alex has gained a substantial amount of experience (and degrees). He has done a ton of research and guided patients to what he calls the “mind-expanding trips” he has become a leading figure in the psychedelic therapy world. Although this type of therapy was kept on the low for the longest time, it is now making headlines with millions being pumped into research and new therapy initiatives. 

How Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy Works

There are different ways Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy can be done. Dr. Alex Belser says most of the trials he has helped with consist of multiple parts and require at least two or more facilitators (one being a licensed psychotherapist). First, the patient has to go through an intensive screening process. After they are approved they will have three sessions, at least, of talk therapy. Participants usually won’t be introduced to any psychoactive substances (psychedelics) until they go through the entire process, since they are very susceptible to fear, confusion, panic, or paranoia when in touch with them.

When it’s time to try the medicine, usually a pill, the session can last up to a full day. That is why clinicians have created a safe, spa-like setting for patients, they might have stones, flowers, and natural objects, besides the physical objects there will be calming music playing for the patient through speakers or headphones. All of these measures are taken to let the person experiencing this fully immerse in the therapy.

People who have done this before testify they have encountered vivid visions, emotions, and memories in just a few hours into the process. Some say they have interacted with deceased loved ones. This type of therapy can be very intense, there are always cases where it has to be stopped with “rescue” medications like benzodiazepines to calm down the patients. Because of these reasons, after the experience is over, patients will be required to have more talk therapy sessions in the following days.

What Type of Psychedelics are Used for this Therapy?

The most common medicines used in most clinical studies are psilocybin, MDMA, Mescaline, and LSD. They can be used to treat different kind of addictions, to alcohol, cocaine, marihuana, and tobacco. They can also be used to treat mental health issues like: anxiety, depression, PTSD, and more.

Let’s Remember

Justice and compassion are much needed in this world where healthcare can feel cold and clinical, this is why Dr. Alex’s approach feels like a breath of fresh air. As we journey through the wild field of psychedelic medicine we need to remember the human side of it all. At the end of the day, it is not just about pills and prescriptions; it’s about healing hearts and minds. We have a bright future ahead of us!

References

• Alexander Belser, alexbelser.com/contact.html. Accessed 7 Apr. 2024.
  • Tupper, Kenneth W, et al. “Psychedelic Medicine: A Re-Emerging Therapeutic Paradigm.” CMAJ : Canadian Medical Association Journal = Journal de l’Association Medicale Canadienne, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 6 Oct. 2015, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4592297/#b3-1871054.
  • Meinch, Tree. “Psychedelics Could Be the Future of Psychotherapy.” Discover Magazine, Discover Magazine, 17 Mar. 2023, www.discovermagazine.com/mind/psychedelics-could-be-the-future-of-psychotherapy.

All media used in this blog was found on Google Images

7 Responses

1. Neveah Reese

I think this type of treatment can bring significantly positive changes to the health of people. Many say that physical health is heavily influenced through or mental wellbeing. Mental health comes with several layers, so touching on all of them through one of these sessions is surely intense, but also has the potential of being pivotal to healing both mentally and physically.

2. Ian Miller

I saw a meme recently that said: “Don’t forget. You have to do the inner work, not just eat shrooms”. I am a huge advocate of hallucinogens being used for therapeutic and addiction treatment. But, as the meme I saw articulates, it has to be more than just doing a new drug and everything is fine. These kinds of experimental treatments are in a sensitive arena in that they are just breaching a realm of possibilities, and that has to be handled with care or else this glimmer of change will quickly be shut down.

3. Robi Naranjo

It’s nice how that healthcare is changing, and just seeing this is an option now for some people, and they don’t have to go hunt people down and find mushrooms, possibly get in legal trouble or harm. Cultures throughout time have used these substances, and there could be lots of benefits to them. Although I’ve never taken under an 8th myself, and it wasn’t very helpful in my life, it wasn’t very harmful either. It made me laugh a lot and was a pleasant experience. I know micro dosing would be different, but its cool how they are at least examining the potential benefits and finding solutions while finding alternate routes for mental health

4. Trinity Podbicanin

This was very interesting to learn about. I did not know Psychedelics could be a therapy. They treat so many different addictions and mental issues, which is so impressive. I also really like the system they have for this: a screening process that needs approval, having a minimum of three talk sessions, and “Clinicians create a safe, comfortable spa-like setting for the patient.” It is so important to have and shows they really care by saying, “That foundation is vital before introducing any psychoactive substances, which can stir up momentary fear, confusion, panic or paranoia in the human brain.” This is such a great method to go about this. I had never heard of this before reading the article, and it was so informative and just such an impressive form of therapy. Overall, your blog was really good, and you covered the topic well!

5. Simone Smith

Loved your blog Sammy, thanks for all the information. I know several people that have had great results from taking low doses of psilocybin. I think it probably depends on the person and don’t think I’d want to try psychedelics for mental health. I wonder if it’s a trend and offered as a easy quick fix when improving our mental health takes so much inner work. But it sure is intriguing and I look forward to seeing where where it all leads!

6. Elizabeth Jackson

Therapy can be intimidating for people dealing with addiction for many reasons. Embarrassment, change, discomfort, etc. It can also be very scary because therapists trained in rehabilitation have seen thousands of patients, so prescribing that one person is normal to the therapist, but a huge step for the patient. That said, I can appreciate a type of therapy that fosters a comfortable and caring environment that is not rushed, cold, or too professional. Your blog is very pleasing to the eye and informative. I look forward to your next one!

7. Alex Beaudouin

Hi Sammy,
    I was listening to NPR the other day while driving and they had an interview about psychedelics as a therapy for PTSD (war veterans). I think the future of psychedelics for therapy holds great potential. Research has shown promising results in using psychedelics like psilocybin (found in magic mushrooms) and MDMA to treat mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD. I believe it requires further research, ethical considerations, and responsible implementation to ensure its effectiveness and safety.