U.S. Criminal Justice System

What is The United States Criminal Justice System?

The Justice system is a network of federal, state and local agencies who enforce, investigate, and administer punishments for breaking/violating set laws. The US Justice system in not one system but a combination of multiple jurisdictions which are separated by the type of offense and the area. The CJ system is usually 5 systems law enforcement, prosecution, defense attorneys, courts and corrections and all have their own part that makes them detrimental.

Enforcement:

The Justice system is built upon several agencies such as the Federal such as FBI and DEA, State like Sheriffs offices, and local law enforcement like a police department these departments are responsible to enforce laws at different levels in the country. Officers investigate crimes by gathering and protecting evidence, making arrests, providing testimony during court processes, and conducting follow-up investigations as needed.

Prosecution:

Prosecutors are government employees in the either federal, state or local agencies and their job is to bring charges to the person accused of the said crimes. Prosecutors must review the evidence gathered by Police Officers and determine to file formal charges against the suspect or to drop the case if there is insufficient evidence. They are also tasked with presenting the evidence in court, questioning witnesses, determining what charges a suspect will be charged with.

Defense:

The job of the defense is very explanatory they intend to protect the image of the said suspect in question and prove them innocent with witnesses, evidence, and knowledge of the legal system.

Courts:

Both prosecution and defense attorneys work in courts under judges whose job is to ensure that only the law is being followed and not broken. If law is decided to have been broken the judge then has the power to sentence the individual into a correctional institution.

Corrections:

Jails and prisons. Jails are a sentence under a year and prisons are sentences over a year and usually federal crimes. Correction officers job is to supervise the convicted individuals in jail or prison which also include probation and parole officers who are responsible for monitoring these individuals outside once they finish their sentencing.

How is a Social Worker involved in this?

Social work is very broad and includes services on every level of federal, state and local systems. Social workers are very involved and knowledgeable in behavioral, trauma, and psychological issues allowing them to resolve conflict without the use of force but with gaining the individuals trust. Social workers must be highly versatile in issues and matter because they are able to advise and assist all 5 parts of the CJ system making them highly valuable.

My own experience:

This was about 1.5 years ago but I was still working at UAFPD and I got on shift and was told to go assist a officer on a current traffic stop. When I arrived he was doing FSST with a potential DUI with prior history and I was told to wait until he was finished and when he would be able to decide if the individual was intoxicated or not which they later were. I was then told to remove the toddler from the back seat of the car and move them to the police station and stay with them will awaiting for a CPS agent to come and pick up the child because there was no relatives/family members in Fairbanks. I must of waited 4 hours and in that time I watched and played with the kid who had no Idea who I was or that their parent was just arrested for a very serious crime all while they already have prior history with rules to follow. When the CPS agent arrived it was very quick and brief we quickly talked to them and then they went away. I think that the kid might not ever remember this but I know that the people who work at CPS have the kids best interest in mind and just want to give them the best chances they can.

1. Sean McCrossin

I appreciated your story that you shared at the very end of the blog here. I think CPS really is a good organization that tries to help. One time we had a family friend who got mad at my parents and called CPS just because. The worker who showed up was very stern and very serious to the both my brother and I. Thankfully I’m sure she was well aware of baseless calls like that. I was 9 years old at the time and although I remember very well, I felt just fine when she left, and she never came back. She did her job and knew she could feel confident with us straying in the home when she left. I haven’t thought about that in a while but your blog reminded me and I figure it helps your points. Great blog!

2. Alex Beaudouin

Hi John,

I think for social workers to be engaged in social justice, working with communities and organizations, participating in public campaigns, and engaging in lobbying efforts can have an impact. Social workers can contribute to community development initiatives by working with local organizations and residents to address systemic inequalities. Also, social workers can educate others about social justice issues, and human rights. I believe being engaged in these areas, social workers can make a significant contribution to promoting social justice and creating equitable societies.

3. Sharla Huckabey

Hello John, I appreciate your blog today. I like how you pointed out the different areas of the system. I am very familiar with all of the entities you mentioned. I worked as a Court Clerk Deputy for nine years. I loved my job taking minutes for the judges. One part that always weighed on me was that I was over the juvenile cases. I am very familiar with CPS, although I have never personally dealt with it, as some of my relatives have. I am more familiar with them through my line of work as a Court Clerk Deputy. I have also witnessed several situations, such as the one Sean states in his dialogue.

I appreciate that CPS is there to help look out for the children’s best interests. I also know that once a child gets into that system, it is very hard to get them out. I was so thankful for the judges I worked with because they were very good at being fair, honest, and by the book. Even one of the judges said that once a child gets into the system, it is hard to get them out, so he always ensured that he gave the parents time to try and get their lives in order.

Three of my husband’s best friends were a lawyer, a judge, and a probation and parole officer; you learn a lot about how the system works.

4. Trinity Podbicanin

Your blog was very informative! I like that you included detailed descriptions of the main criminal justice components, including law enforcement, prosecution, defense, courts, and corrections. You seem very knowledgeable about criminal justice, and it shows based on your blog. Social workers are important in criminal justice because they help those convicted of a crime during and after incarceration. They also play a role in families going through a hard time. They play a crucial role in people’s lives, helping them through a hard time. I liked how you mentioned that “the people who work at CPS have the kids best interest in mind and just want to give them the best chances they can.” CPS is typically made out to be the bad guy, but they want what is best for the child and for the child to be in a safe environment.

5. Josh Fine

Hi John. This United States criminal justice system is something that causes me profound confusion. This week’s text cleared some of that up, though I will need to do some continued learning. You broke down the information in a very “easy-to-consume” way and I appreciate that. Your blog made a great addendum to the text.

6. Mel Maendel

Hi John, thank you for your blog and making it easy to read and it was very well broken down. Also thank you for your ongoing work and sharing your story. In society today there is a lot of bad stereotypes that surround CPS workers and I really like that you said that they all just have the best interest of the kids in mind which is something that I wish was recognized and said more often.

7. Neveah Reese

Reading about the various layers to the justice systems paired with my experience in the defense area of the system, I began to think about how communication between them could be improved. Understanding how each section impacts the next and what the means for the individual involved in the cycle. This is where social workers play a major role throughout! They can be that advocate and voice for each step of the way, or even just one.

8. Sarai Gomez

Thank you for your blog John,

If I were to pursue a career in the criminal justice system, I would like to be a victim’s advocate. Specifically for the Hispanic population. From what I have seen, having support like a victim advocate helps make the legal proceedings easier to navigate and gives that extra, much-needed confidence boost to make the client feel like they can navigate the system.

In another blog, someone mentioned they wished that this system would be touched on more in highschool so that it wouldn’t be so daunting and complicated. I agree. Although many of us might not work in the law sector, it’s important to know what resources are out there, how social workers come into play and what to generally expect.

9. Jaelynn Anderson

After reviewing the other blog posts for this week, I discovered that a social worker’s role in the criminal justice system is important, especially for the children we are involved with. As you were explaining in your personal story, children are placed with family. Alaska is huge and family might not be right down the street, so for you to take care of the kid for several hours was amazing. Also, as others have mentioned, the criminal justice system should be taught more. I was taught the basics in high school and was unaware that it wasn’t taught in many other states.

10. Ian Miller

Great blog John. I appreciate how you broke down the different aspects of the CJS. If you ever get an opportunity to work in/with the courts, I highly recommend it. I was a representative for the Fairbanks Criminal Restorative Justice Program. I was the legal representative for clients who qualified for our program. I supervised their progress with our programs terms and reported to the judge on that progress. It was very rewarding to work with individuals in giving them power over their own destiny and participation.

11. Ben Woods

Hi there John, great post! I appreciate the clear breakdown of all the parts and pieces that go into the criminal justice system. It was very educational and expanded my knowledge of how that system plays out. I thank you for your service as a police officer. That’s not an easy job and only the brave step up to the plate and serve. I agree that CPS has the child’s best interest at heart. That’s not an easy job either. I would break down so fast seeing the children from families and or legal guardians make poor choices.

12. Robi Naranjo

Thanks for sharing your experience, that would be tough to do and heavy.There is a wide array of roles a social worker can be in criminal justice! Im leaning towards behavioral health and I wouldn’t mind working in restorative justice. I enjoy learning about all these different areas of work and hearing all your stories and experiences.

13. Alex Beaudouin

Hi John,
    Thank you for your blog. I think social workers play a vital role in The U.S. criminal justice system, primarily focusing on rehabilitation, support, and advocacy for individuals involved in the system. Rehabilitation is an important aspect, providing counseling, therapy, and support services to people who have been incarcerated. Social workers have a crucial role in addressing the underlying causes of criminal behaviors and advocating for justice and social equity within the criminal justice system.