Episode # 48 Abolitionist Social Work

Today, on this blog, I will try my best to break down the interesting conversation about abolition in social work between Christian Ace Stetler and Dr. Alan J. Dettlaf. I highly recommend you to go and watch or listen to the podcast, it is available on PodBean, Spotify, Apple, and Youtube.

Dr Alan J. Dettlaff is this episode’s guest, he is a pioneer in the field of social work advocating for abolitionist principles. Allan began his career as a social worker in the family policing system, but nowadays he focuses on ending the harm resulted by the oppresive system.

He has contributed in the upEND movement by co-authoring a foundational policy document, “How We End Up: A Future Without Family Policing,” Dettlaff’s work and the Upend Movement’s mission are crucial for creating a more just and equitable society, particularly for marginalized communities.

Dr. Dettlaff has published a book named “Confronting the Racist Legacy of the American Child Welfare System: The Case for Abolition” and co-authored “Social Work, White Supremacy, and Racial Justice: Reckoning with Our History, Interrogating Our Present, Reimagining Our Future.”

Abolition in Social Work

When talking about abolition in the context of social work, it refers to a movement that challenges and seeks to dismantle oppressive systems, including those within the field of social work itself. The 2 main focal points throughout this podcast was anti-policing and children welfare abolition.

Anti-Policing and Children Welfare Abolition

Dr. Dettlaff stance on child welfare abolition and anti-policing challenges the current practices and policies that affect communities, specially the marginalized ones. He emphasizes the need for a system that prioritizes prevention, early intervention, and support, rather than depending on interventions that separate families. The example he provided, and makes it extremely easy to understand, is: imagine we live in an idyllic society where all families have access to the resources they need when they are in need of help. In that society, think about your own community and a child was harm, what would you like to happen? Would you like to get together as a community and figure out what should happen to protect that child? Or would you prefer the government to take that child away from you and figure out how to protect that child? Most people agree the first option would be the wiser choice. I think so too.

Miranda warnings for parents and financial assistance is also something that Allan is pushing for. People have the right to refuse to allow a child welfare investigator to their home or talk to their child, but people don’t know that, he says: “welfare agents should tell parents their rights,” but states are actively fighting against this laws (New York being the state that’s currently fighting against it the most). And even if a parent refuses to allow an agent into his home, this could lead to more problems for them, they could be categorize as uncooperative therefore giving them a justification to investigate. This is what the system looks like right now, and why laws should be passed to avoid this to keep happening.

References

• Dettlaff, A. (2023). About. Retrieved from https://www.alandettlaff.com/about-5
  • Stetler, C. A. (2024). Episode # 48 abolitionist Social Work | Challenging the status quo with dr. Alan Dettlaff. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbNE5lc7XQY

All media used in this blog was found on Google Images

1. Josh Fine

Hi Sammy, great blog. I really enjoyed this podcast episode, though it got me thinking quite a bit. As the conversation progressed, I found myself questioning my own beliefs about the profession of social work. Dr. Detlaff does not seem like someone who dances around a topic, even if his point of view is seen as controversial. That is a trait that inspires me quite a bit, and in this case, motivates me to stand up more myself.

2. Mel Maendel

Hi Sammy, thank you for your blog I found it very interesting and helpful. I liked your layout and the easy way you laid out the podcast. I am always in awe when there are rights that everyone should know but seem to be kept out of the public eye. Like some of the rights you were talking about with parents. I really think that there needs to be more education on rights of all categories so that people can better protect themsleves and their families.

3. Neveah Reese

When I think about abolition in regard to revolutionary social work, I don’t think about the ending of systems but more about the change. Being revolutionary means to question everything and advocate for change for the greater good! When listening to both this episode and the UpEnd podcast I approached it with a open mind and it helped me to better understand what the big goal is

4. Michelle Dunham

In a perfect world…. yes, relying on our family, friends, neighbors, etc. would be a much more natural way of protecting our children, rather than allowing the government that we elected and allowed to make these rules, regulations and laws. The Native cultures of all nations have this matrix built into their culture. Our civilized, American culture has created a society of neglect at great cost.

However, until we fix the family unit, this ‘perfect world’ cannot be. Our Fathers have abdicated their role as father, protector and provider. Mothers have abdicated their role as mother, nurturer, and educator. Each attempting to fill a role they were not made for. And the children are left to fend for themselves. Maturing without discipline or critical thinking abilities creating generations who don’t know how to take care of themselves.

The crux of it is this: If we abdicate our role to our children WILLINGLY, how do we take it back? I have made my own contribution above… your thoughts?

5. Christine Ryan

Great blog and layout, easy to follow. I first listened to his blog live and was a little upset with his views. I felt he gave no hope to the profession. Felt we were being labeled in boxes, and being a fresh student and learning the ins and outs it put a sour taste in my mouth when it came to social work. The second time I listened to the podcast I was more neutral and trying to see all his points. I did love that he gave the students power, and we can fight for what we want to learn. We have the numbers and the passion to see change. I do not want to defund the police but we need to have better things in place, like the hope van that was driving around to help out.

6. Ian Miller

Hi Sammy, I agree with everyone else’s comments on your blog. You did a great job and broke the message of Dr. Detlaff very well. Listening to this podcast, and the call to action to address a system that prioritizes removal over family and individual rights, it makes me reflect strongly on the work that I do. I am not a CPS/OCS worker, but I do work closely with them. As an employee of a Child Advocacy Center, I find myself at odds with what I think the best answer is. I am at odds because daily I hear of the horrors of what happens behind closed doors of homes, and the inappropriate behavior that is normalized in the lives of some kids. I am an abolitionist at heart, I think our systems, police, incarceration, child welfare, mental health, and others, are all severely failing the populations they serve. But at the same time, I know very well that there are evils being done in the homes of our country, and other countries.

7. Simone Smith

Thanks for a great blog Sammy! I was so inspired by Dr. Dettlaff and loved the podcast episode. Not many people will give up their career to stand up for what is right and he did. Policing does not protect people, it protects property and people like Dr. Dettlaff encourage me to continue to hope and work toward something better.

8. Ben Woods

Hi there Sammy, great post! I really like how his vision is set on a system that focuses on prevention, early intervention, and support. I feel implementing that into our current system will do well for people, however, it won’t fix all of our problems. I may be skeptical when it comes to this subject but I believe that there are some bad people in this world that want to do harm. I value the police agencies because I feel safe being out in the community knowing they have an eye out for people that harm. With all of that being said, I de believe that focusing on prevention and early intervention will dramatically improve lives and the community an a whole.

9. Robi Naranjo

Thanks for sharing your blog! I find this topic so interesting and worth exploring. worth looking at with creative solutions and looking at systems that are working and what isnt.

10. Alex Beaudouin

Hi Sammy,
    Abolition in social work is an ongoing conversation and movement that seeks to reimagine the role of social work in creating a more just and equitable society, involving critically analyzing existing systems, challenging oppressive practices, and working towards transformative change.