Serving Those Who Have Served Us

posted in: Uncategorized | 6

As the dust settles on over a decade of conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan, our attention turns to those who served on the frontlines. The brave men and women returning from Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, and New Dawn (OEF/OIF/OND) bring with them more than just memories of combat; they carry the weight of unique challenges that demand a specialized approach to support and healing.

Enter military social work, a field as diverse and dynamic as the individuals it serves. Unlike traditional civilian practice, military social work operates within the intricate fabric of a structured, hierarchical environment. Here, within the five branches of military service, from active duty to National Guard and Reserve, lies a community with its own culture, needs, and entitlements.

The call for a specialized focus on military social work couldn’t be clearer. The complexities of military life, from multiple deployments to the strains of reintegration, demand a level of expertise and understanding that goes beyond the conventional. It’s about recognizing that the battlefield doesn’t end when the troops come home; it extends into the hearts and homes of veterans and their families.

But with this call to action comes both challenges and opportunities. How do we bridge the gap between theory and practice, ensuring that our social workers are not only highly skilled but also culturally tuned in to the needs of our military community? How do we navigate the ever-evolving landscape of military service, where each branch and affiliation brings its own set of challenges and resources?

The answer lies in harnessing the wealth of knowledge and experience within the social work profession to pave the way for a brighter future for our veterans. From curriculum development to program evaluation, from evidence-based services to innovative pedagogical methods, the journey towards excellence in military social work is multifaceted and ever-evolving.

In this journey, we must not forget the importance of personal connection. Behind every statistic and strategy lies a story—a story of courage, resilience, and sacrifice. As we strive for excellence in our practice, let us never lose sight of the individuals whose lives we touch. Let us be guided not only by the pursuit of knowledge but also by empathy and compassion.

For those who have served, the battle doesn’t end on the battlefield; it continues in the struggle to find peace and purpose in civilian life. As social workers, we have a duty and a privilege to stand by their side, offering support, understanding, and hope.

In the end, the true measure of our success lies not in accolades or achievements but in the lives we touch and the hearts we heal. So let us rise to the challenge, knowing that with every step we take towards excellence in military social work, we bring light into the darkness of war’s aftermath.

Together, let us navigate the battlefield of military social work, armed with compassion, knowledge, and a relentless dedication to serving those who have served us.

I wanted to conclude with a short personal story. My brother and grandfather were both Navy men. Two very different eras of war were encountered between the two of them. Neither ever spoke to me about their experiences, but hindsight makes it clearer to see the struggles they both endured. My brother committed suicide in 2014. We don’t know if it was related as there were absolutely no warning signs. The survivors left behind, are always left with more questions than answers. And when we encounter someone who is approaching that final line of giving up all hope… that is where I want to be standing.

I have worked at our local VA for the last 6 years and LOVE my Vets! My Social Work goal is to work in Crisis advocacy and to be there to provide even the smallest sliver of hope and help.

Wild Bill – A Story of Tougher Love

Wild Bill was one of our most recognized Veteran’s around our local VA. He was in his 60’s but looked like he was in his 80’s. He was homeless and addicted to meth. He had no teeth and never bathed. He was loud, obnoxious, and crude. He was in and out of detox and rehab centers discharging himself half way through the program, heading back out onto the street. He spent a lot of time in our lobby. I work the front desk, and front line for all who enter…

One horrific day, he came in and needed to meet with one of our Addiction Therapists who was delayed in a meeting… for 2 HOURS! Wild Bill didn’t mind. He lounged on every chair and bench eating his lunch after hammering it on the table so he could eat it without his teeth, and with his pants half way down his backend with his junk hanging out. I had not noticed this due to the angle, but the wife of one of our other patients waiting in the lobby finally let me know that her “view” needed help. He did try to clean up with a large glass bowl of water, a lemon, and some paper towels. My coworker had given these to him and he was cutting the lemon up into the bowl of water as I watched in shock. Asking him quickly for the scissors (which were making me nervous). I had just gotten back from lunch and decided enough was enough and went to get help.

The last time he came into our lobby, he was begging for help (again), and yelling about how no one helps him. At the time, he was being disruptive, and so I contacted our local VA Police for assist to standby while we waited for his clinical provider. I remember him being upset with me that I had called them for help.

He ended up as inpatient in a great rehab facility in Idaho and this time it looked like he was going to do better than all the other times. Sadly, he did leave prematurely and went back out to his streets and the meth. It wasn’t long after he passed away. We all miss him regardless of the challenge.

Wild Bill was my tough love Veteran. Yes, he was horrible at times, but he also played the guitar. He sang me songs and wasn’t half bad! He had a sweet heart, and it was easy to love him. To serve him. To be there every single time he wanted help. No matter how many. We were all committed to being there ANY and EVERY time they ask for help. No one should be turned away because they are too much of a handful.

Let me leave you with one last bit of advice? If you truly want to be a social worker, ask yourself if you can love them no matter what. Even if they continually condemn, criticize and sabotage the help you give them. Don’t ever stop. I have been told that Love is Patient. If we can figure that out, the rest will fall into place.

Wooten NR. Military Social Work: Opportunities and Challenges for Social Work Education. J Soc Work Educ. 2015;51(Suppl 1):S6-S25. PMID: 26089628; PMCID: PMC4469218.
LINK: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4469218/

6 Responses

1. Neveah Reese

I can tell through your writing and choice of vocabulary that you are very passionate about VA social work. You have tons of experience and passion, which is a powerful combination! You made many points regarding the multifaced, diverse, and challenging field and how knowledge and practice is key to making a difference. With that you added, “Let us be guided not only by the pursuit of knowledge but also by empathy and compassion,” which I found to be a strong statement. For civilians and those not intertwined in the military it can be extremely challenging to understand where veterans are coming from and how what they are experiencing (or experienced) is impacting them. Because of this, empathy and compassion are essential to this practice area. Thank you for sharing your personal stories and knowledge on this topic.

2. Michelle Dunham

Thank you Neveah! Yes, I am a passionate and compassionate person. Which is where the education we are receiving is so valuable. One great piece of advice I have received from the clinical staff I work with at the VA in MH is to find a counselor that counsel the counselor. And sooner rather than later!

The weak area in need of fortifying is our Empathy. It is an area that can and has been abused and taken advantage of. Until I can locate that person who will be able to help me walk through my own struggles, I can see where some of my specific issues will be a hindrance to my ability to help others.

Until I locate that person, I have also been told the below book will give me some of that foundational strength to lean on…

All the best! ~ Michelle

Boundaries, Updated and Expanded Edition
    By: John Townsend, Henry Cloud

3. Ian Miller

Great blog Michelle, and I really appreciate your exploration of the the “why” behind the work we do. It is important to want to bring change to society and those we serve, but the “why” we do it has to be sincere or our efforts won’t last.

Your writing about your experiences with Wild Bill carry a lot of love and compassion. It reminded me a lot of hearing my mother talk about her time spent being a nurse in a VA psychiatric hospital. She always spoke with so much understanding and acceptance of the patients she worked with. I remember her coming home one day having been attacked by a patient, but she continued to speak about them, and continued to treat them with the same understanding and acceptance.

You said that “when we encounter someone who is approaching that final line of giving up all hope… that is where I want to be standing”. Being the person who is there to help others see the light, that line is a very hard place to stand. But I can tell that you have a lot of determination and that you understand that you have to continue to put in the work to be able to stand there strong and ready!

I wish you the absolute best in your journey!

• Michelle Dunham

Thank you Ian! Yes! I am determined, and resolved, that working in suicide prevention is my end goal. I know it will be tough, but I am filled with an overflowing amount to tough love. (wink wink)

4. Trinity Podbicanin

Your blog is very informative and educational. I like the personal story at the end; it shows that, as you said, “If you want to be a social worker, ask yourself if you can love them no matter what.” As shown in the source, “The critical need for a skilled military behavioral health workforce presents unique opportunities for graduate social work education.” I have heard about the need for military social workers in Alaska due to the high suicide rate. Soldiers who need help should receive it promptly. They fight for our country, and they deserve help when they need it. I actually have thought about being a military social worker and switching my major. I feel like it would be really rewarding to be able to help those who fight for our country.

• Michelle Dunham

If you are considering the military social work route, I recommend visiting your local VA, and checking their website for SW positions, of which I believe there are a LOT. We have had SW, Psychiatrist and Psychologist positions for more than 5 years. That number increased when we had many clinical providers quit due to a new computer system being implemented, (Cerner/EHRM). NOT a user friendly system… We do refer to the community, so serving our Veterans through an agency certified to offer services and receive payment through the VA. Thanks Trinity for your comments… all the best in your journey!