Stephen Silva Brave: Freedom in Sobriety

posted in: Uncategorized | 3

3 Responses

1. Simone Smith

Great blog, thanks Jillian! I loved this podcast episode. I drank for the last time about 7 years ago and could relate with Stephen’s experience of not wanting his identity. I didn’t use AA to quit drinking and the way I did it has resulted in me feeling like I literally cured my alcoholism. I don’t feel like an alcoholic because I’m not addicted anymore. I work as a peer support at a addiction recovery center and AA works for so many, but it is so important to share other paths to recovery as well!

2. Michelle Dunham

Excellent! And thank you for being so open. I work with a number of clinical SW whose roles are Addiction Therapists. We have an inpatient clinical program, and have usually 10-15 Veterans within our lobby at one time. All are post-detox, current rehab. I have been able to bear witness to amazing and beautiful testimonies of those who work the hardest at changing their lives. One happy/sad story was of a vet who had originally come in drunk and on drugs, went through detox and then our program. We got to know him personally, as we do all who enter. He had stood at my desk and told me how happy he was and so thankful for all of us as we loved him through his experience and journey… it was two days later he died from an aneurysm in his brain. Within hours our lobby was full of those who had walked that journey with him, and were sobbing with grief as we led them into a private room to talk with our clinical team.

I don’t mean to make anyone too sad. Many who graduate our program still come through to say hello and thank you over and over again. It is what I focus on during those times of sadness. Welcoming each one as they come in, looking for help and hope…

3. Sammy Rivera Munoz

Your thoughts about Stephen’s story and how it relates to your own family history of addiction really make me think. It can be very tough for people dealing with addiction. In your blog, you showed your kindness towards them and your understanding of how important it is to be caring in your work shows how much you understand the struggles people face in social work. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on his story—it’s really eye-opening.