Criticizing Anti-Racism:

posted in: Uncategorized | 3

is there a unified way to move past our past?

I have not read any of Kendi’s books, nor have I read White Fragility, by DiAngelo, and I honestly probably won’t (despite owning a copy of White Fragility that is currently very close to the bottom of the pile of other books that I intend to read someday). In preparing for this blog, I did however obtain a plethora of information and perspectives regarding the subject, the books, and the authors. Obviously, some of the material I found was better researched, argued, and articulated than others but each had it’s own unique insight into how they understand, and how they want you to understand, the concepts of white fragility and being an anti-racist. This blog is researched, but not to the fullest extent. Because I am not educated or informed on the material in it’s entirety, I have tried to refrain from inserting my opinions on the topic itself, and instead put more effort into my analysis on existing material.

To get started, according to both Kendi and DiAngelo, I am a racist. By that, I mean that I am not actively seeking out legislative reform, and I am not challenging societal norms at every turn. I guess I have to be okay with being labeled that within the context by which the two authors use to “determine” whether or not any given person is a racist or not. DiAngelo says that we are all divisible by race, and if you are white then you need to work on that forever. Kendi, however, at least provides a bit more wiggle room in that, you can escape being a racist but only if you are actively anti-racist. I have found plenty of criticisms regarding the two authors and their works, but I am going to primarily focus on two; binary reasoning, and the human capacity.

So what is the answer?

Everyone is searching for that magical answer/solution/response/reason to address the the continued existence of racism in the U.S.. But while we are all looking for it, we are also seeking out every opportunity to invalidate alternative ideologies, and to discredit the bringers of alternative thought processes simply because they didn’t get it right the first time. Hughes, in his article, titled, How to be an Anti-Intellectual, writing about Kendi’s work, hits on a key theme with most critics: “the book is poorly argued, sloppily researched, insufficiently fact-checked, and occasionally self-contradictory (2019). The paragraph continues on with his assessment but it just gets more personal from there. The one thing Hughes did that a lot of other critics didn’t is provide any credit where credit is due. Immediately preceding the above quote, Hughes says that “How to Be an Antiracist is the clearest and most jargon-free articulation of modern antiracism I’ve read, and for that reason alone it is a useful contribution”.

The criticisms both for and against the works by Kendi and DiAngelo are valid. But where they, and others go wrong is when the concepts, ideologies, philosophies, or whatever, are held as being the end-all be-all solution with no room for error. These works need to be acknowledged for their contribution to the bigger conversation, they cannot be the tool in which shuts the conversation down. Again, from the Vox article, Givens explains: “Take an enormous concept like “structural racism,” which is a catchall to describe how contemporary inequalities have their roots in history and institutions. On the one hand, that’s just obviously true. But at the same time — and I think you share this instinct — we don’t want to reduce people to historical props with no agency, and we don’t want to define any oppressed group by the actions of their oppressors” (2021).

There is a running joke in my house and that is, when someone gets butthurt about something, the common response is “quit being traumatized”. We joke, but that joke comes from trust that we respect each others life experiences. In reality, it is wildly inappropriate to say that to a person, or a group of people. America has a past, and it needs to be talked about, without fear of upsetting people, because it is going to upset people at times. One last quote from the Givens interview: “one thing I do know is that there are some people in this country who never had the luxury of not facing this stuff. And they’ve always encountered a lot of discomfort. It’s not comfortable for Black folks or Native American communities to think about the history of land dispossession or slavery or Jim Crow or lynchings, and how the legacy of these things persist today” (2021).

I picked this blog topic because I have wanted to understand the topic more deeply. When I started my research, I aligned much more to the ideas of Kendi and DiAngelo than I currently do. I still believe that their work is important and the message is more profound than a lot of critics give them credit for. But I, personally, feel that the concepts are counterproductive to conversation, at least in the way that they are currently being mass distributed to the people. I encourage you to explore the first two links below: one dives into what CRT is and where it came from, and the other is an interactive site where you can learn about the Civil Rights Act.

Long story even longer… I have touched on it a couple times in this blog, even though there is no right answer to the racism problem in our country, or anywhere, it has something to do with critical thinking and communication. Right now, the lack of, or even hostile communication between the different “sides” of the issue is preventing affective critical thinking. Not only that, it is extinguishing it at the ambers.

Four Years Ago

In the summer of 2020, during an online class with Linda Thai, I engaged in group conversation about BLM and the race issue within the U.S.. The reason I engaged in this conversation was that, around the same time, I was writing a paper on “Deaths of Despair” and the research I had done for that paper led me to the troubling statistics regarding the increased rate of deaths by alcohol, drugs, and suicide. Where my concern came from is that I also found that the population that is seeing the greatest proportional increase in those deaths are white, middle-aged, men, which is exactly me (the leading protective factor being obtaining a bachelor’s degree, so stay in school). The biggest lesson I learned that day is that I should not engage in a polarizing conversation without being mentally/intellectually prepared to articulate my position. But it was that day that I also learned that it is important to address concerns about social issues without taking away from another social issue. Everybody’s experience is important.

Additional Links

https://apps.npr.org/behind-the-civil-rights-act/#/annotations

https://www.nytimes.com/article/what-is-critical-race-theory.html.

https://www.npr.org/series/868567696/america-reckons-with-racial-injustice

https://www.nlbm.com/negro-leagues-history/

Works Cited Doc Download

3 Responses

1. Christine Ryan

Thank you, Ian, for this insightful blog and for adding video and book options to broaden our views on these very important topics. I am classified as a racist too, since I am not actively seeking out legislative reform. For so many years I was worried since I am a white female, how I could defend and ask for change when I didn’t fully understand all the issues. These active issues are deeply impacting our communities and people. I can keep educating myself and always question the norms. Help educate my children and introduce them to all cultures and people.

2. Robi Naranjo

I like your breakdown of this topic. I have heard both sides, and some of it is very polarizing; there’s an echo chamber, too, where you can almost tell who has been in one. I watched an antiracism video with Kendi and one of the comments in the comment section was “if you not helping us burn witches, you a witch” it does come off that way and humans are way more complex than that and that is not going to solve anything.

I like how you put this; it’s funny; I’m going to start saying that, lol. And you made a good point at the end.

“There is a running joke in my house and that is, when someone gets butthurt about something, the common response is “quit being traumatized”. We joke, but that joke comes from trust that we respect each others life experiences. In reality, it is wildly inappropriate to say that to a person, or a group of people. America has a past, and it needs to be talked about, without fear of upsetting people, because it is going to upset people at times. One last quote from the Givens interview: “one thing I do know is that there are some people in this country who never had the luxury of not facing this stuff. And they’ve always encountered a lot of discomfort. It’s not comfortable for Black folks or Native American communities to think about the history of land dispossession or slavery or Jim Crow or lynchings, and how the legacy of these things persist today” (2021).”

3. Trinity Podbicanin

I want to first start by saying that it is so cool that you added a link to a picture. I clicked on the photo, and it brought me to the website, and I thought it was so cool. Anyways, your blog was very descriptive and thorough; you did an excellent job explaining everything and made your blog very informative. Looking at the ideas of DiAngelo and Kendi, I do not think it is fair for the idea of “DiAngelo [saying] that we are all divisible by race, and if you are white then you need to work on that forever [and] Kendi, [saying]… you can escape being a racist but only if you are actively anti-racist.” I agree with the source when it says, “We need to treat racism with greater sophistication, but in his books there is little room for insightful discussion or debate.” Kendi gives no room for any other form of discussion other than you are racist or anti-racist, and I just think it goes deeper than that. I saw a quote from his book “How to be an Anti-racist” that said, “Racist ideas make people of color think less of themselves which make them more vulnerable to racist ideas. Racist ideas make white people think more of themselves which further attracts them to racist ideas.” I have to disagree, maybe not on the aspect of how racist ideas affect people of color but on the idea of how white people think of racist ideas. I am white, and I do not think racist ideas make me think more of myself. I think Kendi needs to develop his thinking more to make it not so binary thinking. As you said, “The conversation of racism deserves more than a one answer fits all, anti all or nothing, because we do not live in a binary world, or country.”